Good day I am the landlord of a property...

Asked by darrell on 09-02-2015 13:25:15
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Eastern Cape
Question value: R 0.00

Good day

I am the landlord of a property and would like to please get some advice regarding a lease agreement that I recieved from my estate agent dealing with the rental of my property that they are wanting me to sign.

I originally took them on to find a buyer for my house over a year ago, but then finally had to place a tenant in the property as they still haven't managed to find me a buyer.

At the moment my property is in Durban, but I relocated to Port Elizabeth a few years ago so I had to get an agent to manage the rental for me.

My question is; the lease agreement, I chose a "Management Contract" so they would look after the house for me and deal with any repairs etc if need be. For the "Management Contract" they are wanting a full months rent + vat as a procurement fee (Totaling R7700 once off) as well as their monthly 10% commission + vat (Totaling R792 per month), that legal?

I contacted another 9 estate agencies (three of which are different franchised branches of the same agency in the neighbouring areas) to compare their costs, and all of them only charge the monthly 10% commission + vat and all agree that you cannot charge a procurement fee on a "Management Contract", that true?

Kind regards


Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.