im the only chid who inherited my mother...

Asked by Brother y on 11-09-2016 17:06:32
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 200.00

im the only chid who inherited my mothers house when she past on.but it

is still under her name...where can i start to fix the paper work?

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 11-09-2016 22:29:25

Hi there and thank you for your question,

So from what I understand, when your Mom passed away her wish which was contained in her Will was recorded against the Title Deed of the property, and this happened some time ago, and everyone was happy with it, and since then you need some money and want to sell your 1/3rd share in the property and this Title Deed restriction is a problem.

Firstly, you don't need any written agreement in respect of the property, as the Will clearly states that you are only entitled to the property if you continue to use it as a family home.

In my opinion, there is nothing in the Will which would limit ALL of the siblings' rights to sell the property to somebody else and the Title Deed restriction would thereafter be removed from the Title Deed.

In my opinion, there is also nothing in the Will which would limit YOUR right to sell your 1/3rd share in the property to one of your other siblings.

This is now assuming of course that the property is actually registered in the siblings' names ... can you check that? Perhaps the property is registered in the estate late account of your Mom, or in some sort of testimentary trust which was established in terms of your Mom's Will? 

If you can check that point, I could try answer the remaining questions.

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 12-09-2016 11:52:05

Hi there,

I'm just following up on this question in case you didn't yet see my answer.

Please let me know if you're happy with the answer, or if you need further clarity?


If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.