We have problem with the Municipality in...

Asked by Jonathan Naidoo on 24-07-2017 11:24:53
Question posted in the Consumer Protection Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal
Question value: R 0.00

We have problem with the Municipality in 2010 they sent a task team in our area and they declared it an industrial area ,we have been living here over 40years, in 2012 they sent me a bill that I'm owing them R40000 my water and light bill came to R2399 a month when I approached them to Query this I was told they back dated the area from residential to industrial and they went back 3 years and that's what I owe them I asked if I could pay that in instalments they wanted R20000 down payment of which I never had, my lights have been disconnected ever since its 2017 now they sent me a letter I'm owing R72000 what can I do, if it means I must pay that money I can only offer R1000 a month and judging from my past experience with them they will want half down if which I dont have, how do the task team come up with a R40000 figure and why did task team not consult us about it, I feel that my rights gave been violated and don't know what to do please assist 

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.