what are unmarried father rights of an u...

Asked by SK on 08-08-2021 16:31:02
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng

what are unmarried father rights of an unborn child if the mother is declared brain dead and he is not her next of kin

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 09-08-2021 13:00:19

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

It doesn't matter that the father is not the mother's next of kin. What matters is that he is the child's father. So, he would have rights to the child, and decisions pertaining to the child once the child has been born. 

The mother's parents (or next of kin) have the rights to make medical decisions for the mother while she is alive, albeit brain dead.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.