I have been divorced from my ex in 1999 ...

Asked by Lynette on 23-05-2021 10:37:48
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

I have been divorced  from my ex in 1999 but have not finalized the joint estate which we purchased during our marriage.  I have been responsible  for the bond since its inception and I am still paying g for this bond currently.   my ex is living on the property current and is refusing  to make any  contributions.  he wants to be paid off equally for the property at current value.  what are my rights. i would like to retain the property if possible do i  pay him 50% current value as we were married in community of property.  or value as of date of divorce.  alternatively  can I sell they property but can he refuses to sign when it comes to selling the property.  please advise.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.