I need to negotiaite a divorce settlemen...

Asked by HorseShoeB on 17-04-2018 10:07:43
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal
Question value: R 0.00

I need to negotiaite a divorce settlement and maintenance agreement but cannot afford a lawyer. I am 64 years old and have been married for over 37 years by ANC without accrual. We were married on 29 November 1980.

I have no children or extended family to look after me. I have not worked for the past 19 years except to carry out unsalaried office work to my husband and his various businesses.

While gainfully employed during the first 19 years of marriage I contributed sigificantly both financially and in kind.

At my current age of 64 I am completely dependant on my husband for financial support as I am unable to find gainful employment.

I have no source of income and no savings or investments to draw on. If I don't obtain a good divorce settlement and maintenance agreement I will be both penniless and homeless.

My husband has indicated he wants to try and reach an amicable solution but I feel very vulnerable without proper legal representation which I cannot afford.

He has offered R12,000 per month maintenance saying that is all he can afford. He is currently paying about R20,000 per month for my living expenses. I could get by on that amount without living luxuriously but maintaining a reasonable standard of living similar to his. He has not submitted in writing any settlement offer to include proceeds of selling the family home and wants to settle his large amounts of debt before sharing the residue, if any, with me. I know I need to formalise both aspects of our financiial settlement going forward but feel strongly that we will probably need some kind of mediation services as I fear I would otherwise be bullied onto submission and not receive sufficient settlement according to my rights.

I would appreciate any advice you could provide

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.