Hi.I rented a room in a house share for ...

Asked by Sherlin on 28-11-2018 16:24:23
Question posted in the Criminal Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 300.00


I rented a room in a house share for two years from a family friend and had to relocate to a new place.

I could not take my vehicle with because it was not in a good running condition to make the trip.

The landlord was a family friend and had agreed that I could store the vehicle on his premises because the yard was large and secure.

The car is not on my name because it was given to me by my late father whose estate is currently in dispute, this is the reason why I did not sell the vehicle and instead stored it for collection or sale in the future. The landlord has full knowledge of the situation.

After some time, I go to renew the licence for the vehicle and find out the licence has changed. Upon contacting the landlord, he claimed to have sold the vehicle to his 'gardener' who he cannot contact. I was not notified and did not give any consent.

The vehicle is now being "owned'' by another party with new number plates (fraud done at the licencing dept). Car is still registered in my late dad's name and is part of the estate.

Landlord is scared and offered to refund me the below market price which he sold the vehicle for and I refused because I suspect what he did is illegal and I cannot replace the vehicle with such a low amount. What is the legal precedent and ramification in such cases? *important to note I dont owe the landlord any more and have proof from my bank statements of payment and my deposit being returned upon leaving*

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.