Asked by Deon123 on 11-09-2019 18:29:30
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Western Cape

Good day. My question is on behalf of a friend I'm trying to help. His in-laws build a flat in his back yard on their on expenses with his permission. The building was not approved via municipal regulations. His wife wants to divorce him now and the in-laws wants to relocate but is now suing him for R650 000 for the property they erected on his premises as they feel he has been enriched by it. He cannot afford it as the property were bought about 2 years ago and he still have a morgage to pay.  He also have to provide for the 1 year old child in firm of child support. He has been given the summons and need to respond. His divorce lawyer is handling the case but my friend is in total state of mind. What is he to do and do he have any options?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.