Divorce proceedings started over 2 years...

Asked by Susara on 27-11-2019 22:33:33
Question posted in the Divorce Law category relating to Western Cape
Question value: R 0.00

Divorce proceedings started over 2 years ago. We have 2 minor children. We have been back and forth between lawyers and family advocate about the property and the care of our children.

Documents and evidence of abuse were supplied to the FA, yet a decision can't be made by the FA about the care of the children due to the fact that an agreement about the property haven't been made. My understanding is that the FA is supposed to look at what's in the best interest of the children?

I've made numerous proposals and offers regarding the property which the defendant has turned down every time and haven't made one counteroffer. I've been financially dependent on the defendant and I still am but he's cut me off financially. We still stay in the same house.

My lawyer has been paid R12000 yet I am doing all the work and research. I have not been given advice as to my rights, about what process to follow or what I am entitled to. All emails sent to lawyers basically gets used in my own wording to the defendant's lawyer. 

What are my rights and what can I do to speed up the process? 

Does gifts received during the marriage and items inherited form part of the estate? 

I'd appreciate your advice as to what I can do. 



Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.