Thank you for taking my enquiry. I bough...

Asked by Emerald on 23-01-2020 13:13:57
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal
Question value: R 200.00

Thank you for taking my enquiry. I bought a simplex in 2013 and then in 2016 I lost my job and failed to pay the levies, I am now owing about R110 000 in levies. Today, I received a message that I am owing another company that plans to sell my property in order to recover their monies and that the Body Corporate will recover the levies through levy clearance. i would like to know what should I do to stop this from both parties especially the other company as they never took me to court and I want to dispute the debt.

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 25-01-2020 23:36:24

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

They can only sell your property if they have a judgment (a court order) against you, and you fail to pay, and the sheriff attaches and sells your movable stuff, and then there is still money outstanding, and only then the sheriff can attach your simplex to sell it by auction.

So, they would first need to take you to court, where you could defend yourself and dispute the debt.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.