HiI have someone renting a spare room in...

Asked by Leslie on 21-02-2020 11:15:25
Question posted in the Consumer Protection Law category relating to Western Cape
Question value: R 150.00


I have someone renting a spare room in my home. She has been there since July 2019. Intially we verbally agreed to a month to month rental with a 30 day notice period, and now, she has requested a lease agreement, which I have drafted, but she has the following objection: The agreement does not seem to take into consideration the Rental Housing Act 50 of 1999 (RHA), the Consumer Protection Act 86 of 2008 (CPA) and Common Law – all of which govern rental agreements between tenants and landlords.My question is whether there is need to factor in these Acts if the verbal agreement was initially month to month?Also, initial agreemnet was that the rental should be paid in full before the 10th of the month, and so far this has not been upheld - she pays erratically - one month even paying the last few hundred Rand during the first week of the next month! Whay legal recourse do I have with this person right now if I wanted to give her immediate notice?

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.