My employer has not paid my salary for J...

Asked by TanyaK on 25-02-2020 11:03:28
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Eastern Cape
Question value: R 0.00

My employer has not paid my salary for January. I was told I will get paid once funds become available. I put in my one week resignation and was told to cease work at the end of that business day. 

I was assured all monies owed would be paid before end of February. He also told me i can only get funds once I sign certain documents at lawyers. 

He stated that the contract we signed is also void upon resignation. 

If he does not pay me by month end, what do I do? I am not able to pay my accounts or buy food. CCMA also takes a long time and I know he doesn't want to pay me out the three month package clause that is in my employment contract

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 26-02-2020 19:18:07

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

No, your employment contract is not void once you resign. 

Void means that it never existed.

Rather, your employment contract DID exist, you've just terminated it because you resigned. You are still legally entitled to be paid for the time you worked, and leave pay, etc.

You can file a dispute with the CCMA!

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.