Hi I just need advise please. I wanted t...

Asked by belindav on 29-02-2020 21:21:26
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to North West
Question value: R 0.00

Hi I just need advise please. I wanted to rent a house from a private owner I paid a holding dep of R1500 and signed a contract. This was in the middle of Feb. The lease was then to start at 1st March. We dicided against renting and I spoke to the owner and gave my reasons. She said it's fine and that if she can get tenants for the 1st of March that I can get my holding dep of R1500 back. They have new tenants now since before the 1st of March but are refusing to give the holding dep back because I signed a contract. So I just want to know is my contract still binding after they get new tenants and can the keep the holding dep. 

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 01-03-2020 16:22:06

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Legally, your landlord is required to return your deposit to you because the contract was cancelled by agreement between the parties, subject to the requirement that new tenants are found - which happened!

My advice is to go to the small claims court and issue a summons to sue your landlord for the return of the deposit and interest.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.