I payed my sons nursery school fees upfr...

Asked by Leighann on 18-06-2020 20:02:55
Question posted in the Consumer Protection Law category relating to Gauteng

I payed my sons nursery school fees upfront.  

Now with the current pandemic and that I am not working, I have decided to not send him back to nursery school this year. 

I contacted the school and gave them a months notice. But they refusing to refund the 6 months school fees. Saying given the current situation she is in no position to refund me. That the money has been used to pay salaries and rent etc. 

I informed her that I understand that things are tough on all of us, but the money does belong to me and that I would be willing for her to pay it back over 4 months.  But she is refusing to refund me at all. Saying I don't have to send my son back to school that I can make use of the online class and workpacks that she's doing.. but I do not want to do this, as what she is doing online I can provide this and more schooling to my son myself.  

What are me options and where do I stand on this? 

There is no agreement between myself or the school. She can not find any documents that I signed regarding terms and conditions.  But even if there was i have given her, her 1 months notice that she has been insisting on from other parents that have pulled their kids out of the school. 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.