Hello , my name is TshepoI wanted to ask...

Asked by ChurchillM on 06-08-2020 11:50:49
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

Hello , my name is Tshepo

I wanted to ask what charges by law will i be liable for in the event of me cancelling my on going property purchase . 

I signed a sales agreement for 600k for an apartment and the transfer has been lodged but not registered yet , also i i was not required to pay transfer duty only just the purchase  price 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 15-08-2020 20:02:15

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You were not required to pay transfer duty because the value of the property is less than R800k, which is the minimum value property that transfer duty is liable on.

If you cancel the transfer now, three things are going to happen - 

1) The estate agent will sue you for their commission;

2) The seller might sue you to take transfer, or he might sue you for any damages that he suffers;

3) The conveyancing attorney will sue you for their fees. 

Given that the transfer has already been lodged, it might be too late to cancel the sale since all they are waiting on is for the Deeds Office to register the transfer. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.