Good day. What are the legal rules with ...

Asked by Janien on 10-08-2020 14:09:14
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Western Cape

Good day.  What are the legal rules with tennant and landlord due to covid 19.  My parents were unable to pay the full rent the past 4 months and made a verbal agreement with the landlord which was agreen to pay what they can.  She had also taken the deposit as a pmt.  But now my parents are being threatened by lawyers to pay the outstanding balance owed as well as the deposit else they will be taking their furniture until paid up.  Can they do this?  My parrents have their own electrical business but the only income they had for the past 3 months was the little bit from uif of which they paid some towards rent.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 19-08-2020 20:15:17

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

The landlord can sue the tenant, the landlord can get a judgment against the tenant, and the landlord can instruct the sheriff to attach & remove furniture in terms of a warrant of execution that is issued as a result of the judgment. 

But, the landlord can't evict the tenant during lockdown.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.