I am a UK citizen with a temporary South...

Asked by stevenbland1 on 10-08-2020 18:38:00
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Western Cape

I am a UK citizen with a temporary South African spousal permit, married to a South African. We got married in Denmark in 2017 (and have an apostilled marriage certificate for use internationally). We birthed a child together in July 2020, and went to register him at home affairs. They informed us that as we did not register our marriage in S.A, my partner remains legally single on the DHA system here in SA. As a result, we were given two options: 1) Register our child "out of wedlock" 2) Wait until marriage registration services resume (they are currently on COVID lockdown), register the marriage first and then register the birth (within one year of birth). The DHA official reassured that registering a baby out of wedlock is exactly the same as within a marriage: the certificate is the same, the legal rights of the child the same. However, it seems dishonest to register a child out of wedlock when we are in fact married (albeit not yet recognised in SA). The legal question for an attorney is: Is it OK for us to register the child out of wedlock in this situation or might there be complications down the line? For example, will the process of getting a UK passport for the child be hampered in some way? 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 19-08-2020 20:14:06

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

If you are a South African living in Eastern Cape and you'll probably never leave Eastern Cape and neither will your child, or your child will only travel as far as Joburg, I would agree with the Home Affairs official.

But that's not your situation. You are not South African, and there is a good chance that your child will obtain dual citizenship in the future. For this reason, I suggest that you first register your marriage with Home Affairs, and then proceed with the registration of birth.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.