I need advice on how to start a legal on...

Asked by Anonymous on 01-09-2020 09:40:30
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Western Cape

I need advice on how to start a legal online call about dispute settlement of the proceeds of property sale that needs to be devided between co owners . I have no legal representation as I aim to resolve the matter in a reasonable and amicable manner and I have no money for legal services. 

I will be dealing with an legal expert however and I’d like to make sure that he doesn’t use legal terminology as I am not an trained legal professional. 

There are claims to be settled as this is the ongoing disputes about total monthly payments received to cover bridge loans by one owner and total shortfall payments made to cover bond by another owner. 

I have sent my claim via accountants audit but have yet not received any documentation from the other party’s claim. 

The “Sale” attorney (currently holding the property sale proceeds) suggested a 2 phase payment process in which the second payment hinge of the settlement of claim disputes, however that idea was denied from the other party. 

My Objective of the call is amicable and reasonable settlement of the account as soon as possible.

I think in order to get the process going the following ideas needs to be achieved 

Claims to account to be considered only if there are statements or accounts audit of how totalls claimed are calculated/proof

If there are no supporting documentation to claim then timeline to submit claim needs to be set within minimum time line to avoid an cumbersome process and the following, 

2 phase payment process to be implemented.

2nd phase payment totalls to be linked to disputed claim only.

Claims with supported document/ statements to be paid out in 1st phase payment.  

1st phase payment to proceed with immediate effect.

I think I’ve covered most of it. 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.