Hi there. I'm Carmen, living in a small ...

Asked by CarmenS on 01-11-2020 19:48:52
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Northern Cape

Hi there. I'm Carmen, living in a small town called Brandvlei in the Northern Cape. I need some advice on an inheritance matter. My great grandmother left me her house. So the issue is that she told this to the lawyer, she mentioned that all of her belongings in the house also gets passed on to me. The thing is the lawyer never went and drew up the papers, he promised he would and he didn't, so now my granny passed away and the house now does not belong to me, because she never signed the papers that he was suppose to draw up. I have lots of witnesses to whom my granny confided in by telling them if she had to pass on that her house and belongings gets passed down to me. I want to know what I can do to get the house in my name, and if I can't get it in my name, can I sue the laywer for not drawing up the papers, because he had years to do so. 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 02-11-2020 18:25:51

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

If there is no Will that your granny signed, then you have no claim in law. Sorry. It is really as straight forward and simple as that. 

You also can't sue the lawyer, because you are not the client. Your granny was. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.