Good morning. I'm here to seek an advice...

Asked by Miza on 05-11-2020 08:10:57
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Free State

Good morning. I'm here to seek an advice. 2 days I was walking along with my friends and found abandoned timbers, so we took them thinking they might be useful for us. 

So the Headman did see when we took them and but kept quiet, then later that day he came with police and told us we stole them, that's a community property.

We explained that we didn't steal them, we kindly took them as those timbers are abandoned. Then very politely we were asked to take them to Headman's house. We went to his house to alert him, but he wasn't there by his house. So we suggested it's better we return those timbers where we took them from the first place and we precisely took them back, we shot video clip showing we returned them back.

Now this morning the Headman said he's going to the police because we didn't bring timbers in his yard instead we returned them back where we had found them..

Now what are charges based on my story? Are police suppose to charge us for that?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.