Good day,I have a son i have been contri...

Asked by Tebatso on 08-12-2020 00:06:24
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day,

I have a son i have been contributing financially to since his mother made me aware shes pregnant. I took him to stay with my mother since he was 1 yr and 3 months. His mother is absent in his life and contributes nothing to his care and she has not seen him in person since i took him and not because she does not have access but because she never makes the time for him.

I recently contacted her family in order to settle damages and change my son's surname. The effort was infutile as they're demanding a rediculous amount of money which is unreasonable and as such we could not reach an agreement which now results in me being unable to change his surname.

I need advice to know if i am able to request the courts to set a reasonable amount of damages or force the mother to change my sons surname to mine.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.