I am a chef, opened a new restaurant wit...

Asked by regchef on 22-01-2021 03:22:13
Question posted in the General Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

I am a chef, opened a new restaurant with * john, agreement was 50% profit share.

My input was : Constructing the meals, building a working kitchen, turning the restaurant profitable.

His was: capital (not too exuberant)

He decided to sell, so we agreed that I would buy it. Agreement was X ammount to be paid on the 10th of January, 2021)to pay for his loaned assests from the previous owner(*steve*) and procure it for myself                                                                                                Money was paid, in full on the agreed upon date.( i have an electronic paper trail for these funds) 10/01/21 

The previous owner (*steve*) confronted me, demanding the money owed to him today 20/01/21.

Claims *John* said i never paid him.

I showed the proof of payment to the first owner, and he was quite surprised at *John's* dishonesty.

The 3 of us are meeting tomorrow afternoon.

I need to know what my legal rights are in this particular case?There was no contract signed, all verbal, except for the electronic paper trail from my Bank.

Hoping you can help, it was a substantial amount of money, and a lot of hard work.

Thanks in advance


If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.