My 85 year old father was issued with a ...

Asked by SALA-ks8140 on 02-02-2021 10:48:20
Question posted in the National Credit Act Law category relating to Free State

My ( 85 year old ) father was issued with a Credit Card by a bank more than 10 years ago. He never transacted with the card, keeping it purely for emergancies while travelling. 

Now he is getting hharrassing calls from a collection agency demanding various amounts ranging from R 4 - R 2,200 for outsatnding banking costs rrelating to this account. The bank will not engage us on this matter, we cannot get a statement and / or settlement balance from them. The collection agents disconnect the call when we request documentation.

Throughout this period, the contact details for my father and his next of kin has never changed - there has been NO contact from the bank.

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 03-02-2021 21:15:40

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

And what happens if you take your father into the bank, the physical branch, and he requests copies of the statements?

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.