Good day, my question us about rent. So ...

Asked by Tayron on 03-02-2021 13:15:02
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Free State

Good day, my question us about rent. So last year during level 5 lockdown my wife started her maternity leave so I was the only one working at that time. I could not afford to pay the rent so I sopke to my landlord to see if there is another solution. She told me that I do not have to worry about it and that she does not want it back. 2 Months went by while I still couldn't pay. I asked her again if I can pay it off when my wife starts working again. Again she told me that she does not wan't it back and I should keep it. Now end of January this year I moved out because I could not afford it anymore. I did not pay rent for the month of January but I made an arrangement. I told my landlord to keep the deposit for the month of January that I could not pay. Now the landlords husband wants to sue me for not paying in January after I told them to keep the deposit. He said that he is keeping the deposit for the months in lockdown that I did not pay after they said they do not want it back. I would also like to add that I did not have a contract with them My question is can he do that?

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 04-02-2021 15:56:12

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You can tell the husband that he can't allocate the deposit to the months in lockdown, because you reached an agreement with the wife that she would write off the rental for that period. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.