I was phoned by a 021 number saying that...

Asked by Courtney on 15-06-2021 18:33:15
Question posted in the Criminal Law category relating to Western Cape

I was phoned by a 021 number saying that it is the police in the city of Cape Town and that there is a warrant for my arrest. They would not tell me why.  I am currently based in Durban and they said I have to appear at the CT police station ASAP. I have no idea what they are talking about. The only thing I can think of is a traffic fine, but the car I drive isn't registered in my name so would the fines still go to me? I'm very stressed and confused. I'm still a student and don't have lots of money. Do I need to go to Cape Town?

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 17-06-2021 11:44:37

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

The only way that the SAPS can force you to go to Cape Town, is through a warrant for your arrest.

If the person on the telephone wouldn't tell you why you need to come to the Cape Town Court, I would ignore them.

If they phone back, they must give you information about the case.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.