IAM just wanting to ask a question regar...

Asked by Winningtheprize on 05-02-2021 10:00:01
Question posted in the Divorce Law category relating to Western Cape

IAM just wanting to ask a question regarding my settlement agreement - I have given my wife half of everything which totals R1.2 million - she is going to build a House as she has already purchased a plot in Plettenberg Bay - she is renting presently and IAM paying a portion of her rent - the settlement agreement says nothing of this rental which has been utilised to make up the monthly maintenance fee - I have left her enough money to go on with her life - once she builds her own house am I still liable to pay a portion of the rental even though she is no longer renting?

The agreement which I have not signed also states that the amounts we agreed to go up by 10%  every year - is this the norm?

Your views would be greatly appreciated.


Anthony Colley


Further information relating to Question:

IAM presently unemployed - the maintenance fee is R7600 + R3700 rent and they come to a total of R11300 monthly with a 10% increase every year.

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 05-02-2021 10:47:38

Hi there Anthony and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

Please keep in mind that our discussions is for general information purposes only. Our engagement on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. 

Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? I will come back to you shortly!

Att. Patrick

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 05-02-2021 10:53:59

If the settlement agreement does NOT make provision for you to continue paying the monthly rental (whether she is renting a place or not - it doesn't matter) then there is no legal obligation on you to continue making those payments. 

If your settlement agreement makes provision for some sort of monthly maintenance payments, then that will be all that you need to pay.

Normally, a settlement agreement would record that the monthly payments must increase each year by an amount equal to CPI - the consumer price index. That is the norm; not 10%; and not a percentage. 

If the economy increases each year at 10%, and your payments must increase at 10%, then fine. 

But what if the economy increases each year at 1%, and your payments must increase at 10%, then that's really not fine because you are paying more and more and more!

You should definitely get this changed to CPI.

"The maintenance payments by Plaintiff as referred to in paragraph xxx above shall increase on the anniversary date of the divorce being granted, each year following the granting of the final order of divorce, in accordance with such rise as has occurred in the Consumer Price Index in respect of South Africa (as notified by Statistics SA, from time to time) for the preceding 12 month period, the first such increase to be effective on the first anniversary date of the divorce being granted."

Good luck!

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.