My 68 year old mother passed away recent...

Asked by Alphonzo on 09-02-2021 14:10:45
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Northern Cape

My 68 year old mother passed away recently. For the last 3 years she lived with my sister in Polokwane. She only owned some old clothes. She had no jewelry or valuables. No money or savings. No investments. No property. No vehicle. No life insurance policies. Nothing for anyone to inherit at all. Also no debts or accounts.

She received the monthly government SASSA pension, which she spent each month. 

My sister has been told to register an estate and be appointed executor of the estate, and for this she must pay a lawyer. 

This does not make sense. There is no estate. No assets or debts at all. There is nothing. 

Please advise me on this issue. 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 10-02-2021 12:24:17

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Her estate must be reported to the Master's Office, but it would be reported as a section 18(3) estate because the value of the estate is less than R125,000.

The Master will appoint a "representative", not an "executor".

The representative (which will be a family member) will need to contact SASSA to advise that the pension must be stopped; close any bank account; and then write to the Master to confirm that the estate has been finalised. 

No lawyer involved.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.