Good day, I need some assistance, The De...

Asked by Boitumelo on 17-02-2021 21:33:02
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day,

 I need some assistance, The Defendant's attorney was instructed to withdraw summons issued ( I am the Plaintiff), there was some agreement of correspondence between my attorney and the opposition attorney.

however, because the opposition wanted more money from me that I couldn't afford, we decided they should withdraw those summons as per their threat to do so unless payment made. 

The Defendant and the attorney were advised to withdraw those summons.

New summons were issued anew by me, they were served to the Defendant by the sheriff, over a month the was no response, court date done and divorce decree granted.

now they want to make those old summons in force? 

how can I ensure the old case doesn't proceed because it was precisely cancelled or withdrawn, as I went to the court to talk to the registrar that I have a new case at the regional court, they advised the high court case will not proceed without my permission.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.