Hi,I was recently involed in a car accid...

Asked by Nathalie on 15-03-2021 12:52:01
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape


I was recently involed in a car accident. The driver of the vehicle that I went into the back of had a live chicken in his car that as he explained to me when he came of of his car, started flapping in his car and distracted him in the drivers side which caused him to suddenly stop his car (not to brake but just stop).

I realise that driving into the back of someone makes it my fault. I however know that I was driving at a safe distance behind him but as the road is very windey and we were driving down a steep decline, his reaction to suddendly stop his car due to him transporting a live chicken that panicked is what caused the accident.

I unfortunately wasn't covered by insurance at the time of the accident and the driver's insurance is now claiming money from me to fix his car.

He has also changed his story three times from the chicken being the cause of him to break to the cars in front of him slowing down and the latest version was that his ringing cell phone distracted him.

I am unfortunately not in a position to pay him the more than R19000.00 they are claiming as well as the much bigger damages to my car.

Are you able to give me some advice?

Many thanks!

Nathalie Moor

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.