GooddayMy name is Rushane , I have a leg...

Asked by Anonymous on 27-03-2021 12:15:12
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Eastern Cape


My name is Rushane ,  I have a legal problem regarding property .

I grew up with my grandparents and lived with them my whole life ,  in 2015 when my grandmother passed on she left her final will.I don't completly understand what it fully means but I know that my grandmother made her eldest son executor over the house. He passed away 3years ago ,  Now he's children claims that they own the house.

The real problem is that after my granmother's passing ,  we discovered that the house wasn't fully paid off at the bank and have alot of unpaid municipal debt ,  My mother have been paying that debt off while living in the house because her siblings refuses to . In the meantime she got a letter of authority 2019 , stating that she's required to pay off all debt and to take over all assets that belonged to my grandmother including transfering the property in her name

Does a letter of authority give a person the legal right to transfer property in their name even though there is a will stating otherwise?

Can my mother transfer the property in her name?

Thank you

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.