Good DayI purchased a vacant land and Pa...

Asked by kgapane on 20-04-2021 13:39:50
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Free State

Good Day

I purchased a vacant land and Paid R55 000.00 the balance was due on the 19th March 2021. Due to financial difficulties I was only able to pay the outstanding amount on the 18th April 2021. I received a massage today saying that the sale was cancelled and the money I have paid will be used to cover the cost and pay damages and I will not get the land. How is this legal?

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 21-04-2021 12:26:16

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

It does not sound legal to me at all. 

The seller can only cancel the sale agreement if he sends a letter of demand, giving you time to rectify your breach, and you fail to rectify the breach.

But it sounds to me as if there was no letter of demand.

So the cancellation might very well be illegal.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.