I was incarcerated in 1997 at the age of...

Asked by MattR on 09-06-2021 04:47:10
Question posted in the Criminal Law category relating to Gauteng

I was incarcerated in 1997 at the age of 15. 

I was placed in Pretoria prison and housed with adult inmates and was subsequently sexually abused and raped, thus contracting HIV which i later learned. Neither the social worker nor head of medical did anything when the test results came through, nor did the investigators of the prison, save to make me write a statement that it was consensual which it couldn't have been as I was 15 years old.

I wish to sue the state because i suffer mental anxiety every single day of my life due to being HIV positive

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 12-06-2021 17:49:22

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

So you are 39 years old now. How long ago did you know about the fact that you got HIV? Why didn't you do anything in the past 24 years?

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.