Good dayI am living with my girlfriend a...

Asked by Thembalethu on 11-06-2021 19:32:00
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

Good day

I am living with my girlfriend and we are not married. We want to buy a property together. The problem is that I am still a contract worker and she is permanately employed. We decided that she will buy the property on her name and when i find a permanent job we can transfer the property into our names. 

Now I am worried that if we can breakup (lets say after I have helped her pay the bond for a year). Obviously I will not get anything becuase we are not married. Now, I wanted to ask how can I force her to pay the money back in the event of a breakup or death?

Or do you think its a good idea that I also pay the bond while the apartment is registered under her name?

Your advice will be highly appreciated.



Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 17-06-2021 12:06:59

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

What you need to do is to buy the property in both of your names, and then apply for financing jointly. Also, you should have a written agreement as to what happens to the property if you breakup.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.