Good day.It recently came to my attentio...

Asked by RichardG on 23-06-2021 11:40:33
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

Good day.

It recently came to my attention that I have been falsely accused of vandalising a house I had previously rented. The alleged incident took place almost 2 years ago.

I am told that a case was opened up against me with SAPS, but I have as yet not heard from the police.

I also discovered that this false accusation has been repeated to at least 4 other families in the area, damaging my reputation.

My questions are:

-Do I need to contact the SAPS straighten this out?

-How so I open a case of defamation against the accuser?

-How much is this advice going to cost?

-What costs can I expect going forward?


Richard Glanvill.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 27-06-2021 22:44:47

Hi there Richard,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

There is nothing wrong with contacting the SAPS to make enquiries, but if a case has been laid against you, the investigating officer would normally contact you to ask you to make a statement. If that hasn't happened, the chances that a case was really laid against you is probably zero.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.