Good Afternoon To whom it may concernI w...

Asked by Tamaryn on 24-06-2021 12:26:06
Question posted in the Consumer Protection Law category relating to Eastern Cape

Good Afternoon To whom it may concern

I would like to know what is my rights to get my money back from a private car dealer who sold me a non working car . ?

I did test drive it at the time but arount the block only at the time it was fine but once i paid and whent home with the car it just stop from no where in the middle of the road . Devistated as i know it is a 2nd hand car but i was promiced the engin is in 100% working order. They did come out 4 times to fetch my car and to fix it . but every time it did the same thing as before . I took the car for diagnostics and it turnd out they did not realy fix anything on the car. I understand there is a thing called as is . But please understand me and the dealer had a deal the car engin has to be in good condition and i trusted him. the total damages on the car will cost me +_ 20 000 rand. 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 27-06-2021 22:46:37

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

If they made promises to you that the car was in 100% working order, and it wasn't, then they have breached their promise and you are entitled to cancel the contract and return the car and get your money back!

Ultimately, it is going to come down to a "who said what" because I can guarantee you that they will deny having said that. 

Then, a court will need to decide.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.