I have vehicle finance with wesbank, my ...

Asked by Charmaine on 25-06-2021 11:38:09
Question posted in the National Credit Act Law category relating to Mpumalanga

I have vehicle finance with wesbank, my account was in arrears and i have managed to pay mu account up to date. They have informed me that they have a judgment and will be attaching the vehicle on Monday with the sheriff of the court as they have attained the judgment before i had settled my account. However in the sales agreement clause 13.6 clearly states that if I paid the arrears before the contract was canceled or the vehicle attached that the contract will be reinstated and continue as normal. Also I have read in the consumer act section 129 that if the arrears were paid up then judgement would cease. However upon contacting wesbank they simply refused the above and said that they will not reinstate the contract (which still shows as active on their website, i have a screenshot) they also said they will not further negotiate until the vehicle is in their possession and they will claim the full outstanding amount of the agreement which I have also asked for a settlement amount and not yet received for the past 2 days. Is there a way you can help me so that the sheriff can not attach the vehicle on Monday?

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 27-06-2021 22:47:33

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

If the sheriff arrives, you need to hand over your car. But if it is not the sheriff, you do not need to hand over your car. Only the sheriff with a court order!

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.