I am a landlord for a student house. 4 P...

Asked by RynaC on 26-06-2021 10:01:25
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Western Cape

I am a landlord for a student house. 4 Parents and 1 student co-signed the lease. The students of the 4 parents want the student who signed the lease herself out of the house as she has had a number of psychotic episodes, are verbally abusive and keep bringing animals onto the property without their consent. I would like to understand the legal viewpoint, from a landlord and the tenants perspective. Contract attached 

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 26-06-2021 12:41:10

Hi there, 

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

This is a request for information so that I can understand your question and give you a proper answer.

So I understand that the lease is between you (landlord) and 3 students (2 of whom had their parents co-sign, the 3rd student signing herself).

The only way to get her out of the lease is to ask her to leave, on her own accord. In effect, you would be asking them (as a group) to cancel the lease and then you would enter into a new lease agreement with just the 2 remaining students.

Does your lease say that there are no pets allowed? I'm thinking that it could constitute a breach?

Who is the girl verbally abusive towards?

Also, what outcome would you like from this whole thing?

Awaiting your further information.

Att. Patrick

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.