Hi, I am a 16 year old minor who recentl...

Asked by Tapelo on 26-10-2022 18:53:42
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

Hi, I am a 16 year old minor who recently started an online business which currently earns an average of 5000 USDs per month, I want to move out, purchase assets and start providing for myself... I researched a term called "emancipation" but the information I found is based on US laws and not South African laws. May you please provide me with more information about the laws regarding emancipation in South Africa 

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 22-11-2022 22:37:02

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

An emancipated minor is a child who has been given express or implied consent by a parent or guardian to participate in commercial contracts independently.

This also exists in South African law, and you can most certainly apply to the High Court to become emancipated from your parents. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.