I am an HR admin who sent the employee i...

Asked by Anon on 14-10-2021 11:37:42
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

I am an HR admin who sent the employee info form through to a 3rd party payroll consultant. I did not verify the proof of bank account with the info provided on the form and signed by the employee. Her salary was then paid into the wrong bank account as specified on the form. The bank cannot reverse the amount because the recipient has insufficient funds. Now the company wants me to repay half of the amount as I failed in due diligence. But my concern is that she provided and signed for the incorrect bank details in the first place and she knows the recipient as he was an ex-colleague of hers at the previous company. The matter is still being dealt with internally and we are meeting with management next week Friday to dicsuss it in detail. Other than that, I have to keep record of HR info on Excel sheets which is very frustrating. I have asked for a HR system numerous times but the quotes are declined by management due to budget constraints. Other than the proof of paperwork I have on file I have no other way to check variations or reconcile.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.