I was wrongfully terminated by my previo...

Asked by Jayseelan on 20-10-2021 10:05:10
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

I was wrongfully terminated by my previous company, in September 2020. I took them to the CCMA and won the case, and they were told to pay me a monetary sum, and send me a letter of neutrality for this. I accepted the findings of the CCMA and settlement and moved on. For over a year I had been trying to get a job, and companies in my industry (gambling) declined my applications and interviews no matter how well I did. In September 2021, I obtained a position for a software company. I recently found out from a manager that my previous company technical director (this is the person who fired me and had a personal vendetta against me) contacted my new company and told them that I was a poor hire, and told them several bad stories about me, and advised them to fire me and terminate my contract. 

Upon further review, I have found out that the company I worked for previously, has been spreading rumors about me within the industry which has caused me not to be able to get employment. 

I want to know if I am able to take any sort of legal action against the company and this person, as he represents the company and their ineterests 

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 21-10-2021 18:38:09

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

Yes, you should be able to sue them for any losses they suffered if they went about spreading lies in an attempt to ensure that you didn't get another job.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.