Good day. We just moved into a home. Pri...

Asked by Ismail on 07-03-2024 08:19:03
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day. We just moved into a home. Prior to us mving there was no discussion of a lease agreement. our initial discussions with the landlord was that it is an old house and we would sort ot minor fixes like cupboards lights etc,. After moving in last weekend, we discovered the 1 kitchen conter was water damagaed and rotted out. The geyser also startted leaking. they said they would change the geyser, but thn sent a plumber to put putty on the leak. They refuse to have the kitchen counter replaced and asked us to do it. Subsequently, we have received a lease agreement which is completetly 1 sided and stated that the lanlord is not responsible for any upkeep or maintenance and that we are responsible at ourr own cost. All we require is that we want the landlord to be responsible for the structural upkeep, geyser, plumbing, electrical etc, which they should be responsible for. I believe they stated that if we do not sign the agreement by Friday, tomorrow, that they want us out. We only moved in last weekend with out=r 3 little kids. PLease advise what we can do? Thanks, Ismail

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.