I was involved in a car accident in Apri...

Asked by fezekilek on 05-09-2022 09:35:26
Question posted in the Insurance Law category relating to Gauteng

I was involved in a car accident in April 2022, I took my car to two different panel beaters and put on a claim with my insurance. a few days later I got a call from the panel beater I did not do a quotation on and they told me that my insurance appointed them as a panel beater to fix my car. I brought my car to them on 18 May 2022. They gave it back to me on 24 June 2022, I signed a clearance form on the pickup date, and a few days later I picked that the car was still not in good condition as it was vibrating when I drive it, they said it is wheel alignment. I should bring it back so that they can take it to tire mart, after that it was still vibrating, they took it to motor vision and were told that all for rooms were damaged.

for a long time, I was the one doing the follow-up with insurance and the panel beater to get feedback if they had approved the addition of rims until it was found that centurion panel beaters never sent a report for additional rims, it had to be taken back again to motor vision, and on the same day my claim was approved, they told me to bring in my car on Friday 26 August 2022 with the agreement that I will be getting my car back on the same day. They called to come to pick it up, and when I got there they told me that they can't give me my car back as my insurance has not been paid, and they gave me a letter that says my insurance is under curatorship. 

they have never sent in an invoice to the insurance for the first fix before the additional rims, now they are telling me that if the insurance does not pay I am liable for the 70 000, it is not my fault that the insurance went to curatorship and that they took their time to claim their money, 

I just want my car back and if I have to I can pay for the rims but can not pay for the money they delayed to claim on their side. 

How can I get my car back?

Thank you


If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.