I have a charge of Crimen Injuria agains...

Asked by Duggie on 15-02-2022 02:45:21
Question posted in the Criminal Law category relating to Gauteng

I have a charge of Crimen Injuria against me. The incident happened 31 March 2019. I was in a shop and the queues were long. I approached a man in the shop advising him that it is unacceptable for the express tilla to be closed with such long lines.

My partner and I left the store with our groceries. We forgot an item and my partner went back into the store.  After a long time I phoned him and then went back up. I approached the man again who is a manager at the store. In short I was a very upset customer but I did not make any racial remarks whatsoever. He threatened me stating we should go downstairs so he could sort me out.

My partner and I left and I immediately contacted the store and their head office and I put in a formal compmaint against him. 

On Wednesday the 3rd of April 2019 I was contacted and advised I need to go to the police station as a case had been opened against me for Crimen Injuria. 

Today 15 Feb 2022 will be the 20th time I have appeared in court.  

16 October 2019 was my first appearance. 

26 May 2021 I pleaded not guilty.

I would like to find out what about my right to a speedy trial? 

Out of these 20 postponements, only 2 were due to Covid. The rest of the postponements have been for obtaining video footage which is still not in the states posession. If I recall correctly, 4 postponements due to an interpreter not showing up for court. 

My case has been at 3 different Magistrates.

In January my case was postponed twice in one week just advising me that it is postponed to provide me with a date to appear in court for another postponement. 

I will apparently be testifying today as the state closed their case quite a while ago without the footage and interpreter. 

Please advise if there is anything I could do. The lawyers fees I have had to pay, at this stage is far above R50 000 and I still need to pay for the coming appearances.

Thanks in advance

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.