My wife and I purchased a property in Se...

Asked by Gavin on 22-06-2022 11:30:16
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Western Cape

My wife and I purchased a property in September last year. On the house there is a deck which had not yet been approved by council and placed on the house plans. We said we would only look to purchase the property if it was done by the seller. The seller agreed to have this done and it was placed in the Offer to Purchaser sales agreement. 

The sale and transfer of the house was completed in September 2021. After this we enquired with the Attorney Firm whether the house plans had been approved and they confirmed that they had not yet been done but would follow up with the seller. After communication with the seller, he stated that it was not necessary to have the deck approved and placed on the house plans and refused to do so. I have been requesting continual updates on this matter since the sale in September.

I sent the Attorney Firm quotes for the cost to have the deck approved and these were sent again to the seller in April 2022. He does not respond to the Attorney Firm (email or phone calls). From the collection of the quotes, we were also told by the architect that the deck is illegal and will need some additions to be approved by council. Total extra cost could amount to anything between R30 000 - R45000.

Does this justify a breach in sales agreement?

Is it viable for us to take this matter further?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.