HiMyself and 2 other people have decided...

Asked by Meekaeel on 27-08-2022 17:28:31
Question posted in the General Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal


Myself and 2 other people have decided to open up a butchery,  we all agreed on paying R100000 each for start up capital, myself and and one other partner has already injected our capital...coming to qurbani time, the partner who has not yet paid agreed on buying sheep worth R50000 as part of his capital,  it was a verbal agreement and we agreed to it , he took the sheep on our company's name...after a while he has asked us to pay back the farmer but from our agreement we had we weren't aware to pay the farmer back...the farmer came to us and asked for the money back or he'll take us to court for stocktheft..so we paid the farmer back , but the business partner said he wants to leave the business,  and as for now we not sure if paying back the farmer was a good idea or was the business partner liable to pay , but now I don't know if was a good decision I made for paying back or was there another way around it, and as for the business partner he didn't sign any documents of agreement to the business but the business is registered with his name there and aswell on the business bank account  ...i was also worried to go to court because of the proof the farmer had that we sold the sheep and we also trying to get a grant for the business....what advice can you give me on this whole endeavor? 

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 27-08-2022 21:41:14

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

Please keep in mind that our discussions is for general information purposes only. Our engagement on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. 

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 27-08-2022 21:46:48

Okay, so you (A) and your first friend (B) each put in your R100k. Then you used R50k of that to pay for the sheep which your third friend (C) arranged but didn't pay for. So (C) basically hasn't contributed his share at all. 

In my opinion, the two of you (A) and (B) paid for the sheep and you sold the sheep, hopefully for a profit. So you two should still have your R200k total. 

(C) paid for nothing, and has not received anything. So he can't expect anything. 

I think that you were correct to pay the farmer. 

What you need to do, urgently, if you are of the opinion that you can't have (C) involved in the business anymore, is to change your business name and stop using the old bank account. Open up a new bank account. Get your friend to transfer the money from the old business account into your new business account. Then cut your friend out of the business. 

Otherwise, if you want to give (C) a second chance, is to get your names onto the bank account so you can also transact on it, and then build up the trust relationship again, then continue with the business but know that you need to protect yourselves with a written partnership agreement! 

Search through a list of 373 South African Law Firms, Lawyers and Attorneys who specialise in Partnership Agreements 

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted to be answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.