Hallo.I moved into the rental property w...

Asked by Anna on 25-09-2022 08:27:03
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng


I moved into the rental property where I currently live in December 2021.  Soon after moving in, I started getting sick.  During May this year (6 months later) I was so sick that I had to quit my job.  I was declared permanently medically disabled by my employer.

I finally figured out what made me sick.  There was significant black mould in the house (most of which I have removed by now - at my own cost). Also the ceilings and dry walls throughout the house are made with asbestos.  The landlord was well aware of these issues, but it was not disclosed.  I would never have moved into this house if I knew about the mould or the asbestos.

Because my income is significantly smaller now (pension), I cannot afford to move or rent a similar house.  I definitely cannot buy a property because the bank will no longer extend credit to me.

My question: Can I claim damages from the landlord?  What type of damages can I claim and how much?



Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 25-09-2022 11:00:22

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

Please keep in mind that our discussions is for general information purposes only. Our engagement on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. 

So what I understand, is that you moved into the house in December 2021 and that you quit your job in May 2022 as a result of you being too sick to work.

But when did you start getting sick, and when did you find out that it was mould that made you sick, and are you SURE that the house contains asbestos, or do you just think this?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.