Good evening. Aound 1972 my grandparents...

Asked by Charmaine on 30-12-2022 21:11:18
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

Good evening. 

Aound 1972 my grandparents, my mom, aunt, to cousins were relocated from Oberholzer Carletonville to Toekomsrus in Randfontein. We all stayed in the 4 roomed house until my mom got a 2 room upper in the street. Me and her moved there. But in 1980 both my grandparents passed on, so me and my mom and stepfather moved down to my grandparent's house. The municipal account was put under my mom's name. In 1984/85 my mom got sick and later passed on in 1987.

The account was then put in my name. In 1990 me and my husband and kids moved into our new home. I left my aunt and two cousins at home. Later the Municipal account was put in my aunt's name. Only few years back we finally knew for sure that my aunt got a Title Deed for the house and didn't mention the cousins lived with her or had their names added. There have been fights over the years. She continuesly wants the cousins to leave our grandparent's home. How can I help them? 

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 02-01-2023 15:34:05

Hi there and thank you for your question,

Unfortunately you have not paid any deposit, so I can't really assist you much. If you want to pay a deposit, then we can continue this conversation.

What I can tell you is that just because the municipal account was put into somebody's name does not mean that that person is the registered owner of the property.

I think ultimately the answer to your question might come down to who the registered owner of the property is that your Aunt is living in.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.