Good day Happy new year hope it will be ...

Asked by Candy on 03-01-2023 09:52:06
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Western Cape

Good day Happy new year hope it will be a safe one. 

My new year has not started very well,,,.  I have been staying on a month to month basis at a guest house for the past 5 months, no contract in place.  The land lady asked me for a months deposit which i duly paid, all my monthly payments to her have been paid on time everytime, i have proof of all the payments aswell as deposit paid to her.  My boyfreind and I found a place of our own and informed her on the 21st December, we have moved out and in our new place but she will not release my deposit.  I paid her R5k every month and gave her R6 750.00 as a deposit.I did have a dog and said by all means she can use some money from the deposit for cleaning of the carpets just in the room i occupied.  

She refuses to release my deposit, please can i have some assistance as I don't know where else to turn.  Your help is much appreciated..

Candyce Dean

072 480 4700

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.