Good Day, a scammer has nude photos of m...

Asked by Johan on 01-03-2023 17:40:39
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

Good Day, a scammer has nude photos of me and are threatening to release those material if I don't pay $500, what should I do?

Further information relating to Question:

I shared the intimate material with the person not knowing they were a scammer and now he/she is threatening to post those material

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 01-03-2023 20:27:08

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I'm sure that you've already kicked yourself in the butt about sending this scammer nude photos of yourself.

Look, the reality of the situation is that if you pay the scammer the ransom money, it will never be enough. They will promise to delete the photos. They will say that the ransom is a once-off payment and then you'll never hear from them again. 

This is a lie. 

If you pay, then they will know that they have caught you and they will wait a week or two, or even a month, and then they will come back to you with demands for more and more money. They will never delete the photos, and they will never leave you alone. 

They will continue asking for money until you have no more money to give.

So you can't pay them.

You need to tell them that you are not going to be blackmailed. You need to tell them that at the moment the only crime that they've committed is blackmail, but if they publish your photos then they are guilty of a further crime in terms of the Revenge Porn Laws ... where they can get proper jail time. 

You must unfortunately tell them that if they release the photos you'll report them to the SAPS and lay a charge against them. The police will investigate their cellphone number, their WhatsApp number, their FaceBook message account, everything in order to track them down to prosecute them.

You can't pay. Because if you do, they will have you on the hook forever!  

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.