I am a full time employee at a small com...

Asked by Lethabo on 10-05-2023 18:06:38
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

I am a full time employee at a small company. When I joined, the company was not contracted to any medical aid scheme, so I remained on my mother's as an adult dependent. The contract of employment only said that we may join any medical aid of our choosing. 

My employer has now introduced a group medical aid that will be compulsory for all employees besides those who are one spousal medical aids. I expressed my concern as the proposed medical scheme and its benefits are not matching up to my medical needs.

I now would like to know how I can contest this with my employer and ask that I be exempted from the compulsory benefit.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.